H2O Express ETHOS “Blue Rod”

Mon, Mar 7, 2011

Rods, TACKLE TREND

H2O Express ETHOS “Blue Rod”

Saturday night, I traveled 1.5 hours North to Academy Store 0089 in Rogers, Arkansas after calling my local Academy several times without any result, or information. It was fate! I wasn’t happy, but soon realized why I “had” to go North. Upon arrival, I was looking for a specific Precip rod, and noticed this “Blue Rod”, clearly not a Quantum Energy PT. Academy has stepped up from the Precip Series to a split-grip offering that seems to be a touch lighter, very balanced, and named the ETHOS. *This product is completely different than the Precip rods.

Ethos: (anthropology) the distinctive spirit of a culture or an era

With the current sale, and needing to replace (2) rods, I ended up buying (1) ETHOS70H & (1) ETHOS70CC. I was really happy to find something I needed, at a good price, and a product that offers good components. Once I got home, I had to Google “Ethos” to understand what it meant, and if there was any recent reviews, forum talk or product information. Oddly, the only info I can find is on Texas Fishing Forum .

ETHOS70H & ETHOS70CC

Here’s a rundown of the models and product specs:

MSRP: $59.99 (Rod Riot Sale Price = $39.99)

Models:

ETHOS76XH: 7’6” Flipping / Pitching, Heavy, Extra Fast Tip (Casting)

ETHOS70H: 7’ Heavy, Extra Fast Tip (Casting)

ETHOS70MH: 7’ Medium-Heavy, Fast Tip (Casting)

ETHOS70CC: 7’ Composite Crankbait rod, Medium Action, Moderate Tip (Casting)

ETHOS66MH: Medium-Heavy, Fast Tip (Casting)

ETHOS68MS: 6’8” Medium, Moderate Tip (Spinning)

Blank: IM8 graphite (40 Million Modulus)

Guides: FUJI “N” frame with Alconite inserts

Reel Seat: FUJI ACS with Blank-Thru

Bottom Line: I’m happy to see a Flippin’ & Deep Crankin’ models that needed to be added to the Precip line. I’d still like to see models covering techniques such as spinnerbait  (6’8”-6’10”), topwater (6’4”-6’8”), jerkbait (6’8”-6’10”) in Casting, and possibly a drop-shot / wacky rig (6’-8”-7’), jerkbait (6’8”-6’10”), and a Med-Hvy (6’9”) in Spinning. All in all, I’m ready to get these rods tested, and see how they stand up. The one question I can’t wait to answer, is that how do they compare to other models in the same class, at a much higher price?

I have to agree with my son, that blue is AWESOME!

More info and fish pix soon!

, , , , , , , ,

76 Responses to “H2O Express ETHOS “Blue Rod””

1. Trish & Rick Says:

I’ve heard some forum chatter about a new h2o rod, but haven’t seen one. That looks super cool! Please post some on the water stats when you get to use them. I’d like to buy my boyfriend a couple, even at $59.99, that’s a great deal, if they compar to a GLoomis, or others.
    Trish & Rick

• jbaggett Says:

@Trish: You bet I will! Should have some good info this week, depending on my schedule. I’d say right now, comparing the Ethos to a GLoomis is hands down “Ethos.” I’m a critic to when it comes to rods, and have an old Cameron that I’ll replace the guides on, and cry when it finally breaks. It’s just that good of a rod, and it fits me perfectly. The Ethos, as a upper level product, is a great buy, at an AWESOME price. Take into consideration the components, and fit & finish, and you’ve got one powerhouse of a rod, ready for the water!
      I’ll let you know more when I get back from the water this week.
      Thanks for the comment!

2. Jim Roland Says:

Jason, how in the world do you come up with stuff before I ever here about it? I also did a web search for Ethos rods, and found more info on your site than any where else. Keep it up!

Jim Roland

• jbaggett Says:

@Jim: I wished I could tell you that I have a crystal ball, but the truth is stated in the BLOG above. I was looking for a Precip rod, and had to drive North to another Academy, where I seen the Ethos. Completely by chance!
      Thanks for the positive comments!

3. jbaggett Says:

Some additional information….

The Ethos rods made their debut at the Classic in New Orleans two weeks ago. Academy only had enough stock on hand to supply 10 locations near New Orleans and the rest has been airshipped to Houston, TX that will supply all the Texas locations by the end of next week.

I’d like to know if you have one, and what you think. Reply here or email me. I’d appreciate it.

4. Loomis Fan Says:

There’s NO WAY possible anything from Academy can EVER compare to a GLoomis product, or anyting even remotely close. Are you kidding? Gary Loomis has spent a lifetime designing and building rods and you think Academy who until now has never built anything that wasn’t already built by someone else. They’re copy cats, and cheaply made!
    Not trying to be an a$$, but come one man!
    I like your website, honestly, good job.

• J. Trelan Says:

Loomis Fan, have you lived in a cave or have had your head stuck in sand for the last 15 years? GLoomis is by far a legend in the fishing business but so are others. The case Jason makes, and a fine one I might add, is that Academy has an upper end rod built with quality components, at a much better price. And Jason, apparently has no ties with Academy other than a consumer, like me and you. Even if he did, Jason has an EXCELLENT track record in this industry for his honesty, and ethics. I’m sure he wouldn’t pimp, or even recommend a product if he wouldn’t use it himself. How much does GLoomis pay you? :)
      Also, many of today’s rodmakers have their rods and blanks built overseas, including Kistler, Dobyns, St. Croix, as well as most of the components they use. I don’t have a problem with it, and neither do anyone getting a good deal, for a great product. In all honesty, it does sadden me that Americans have lost jobs due to them being moved overseas, it’s not my fault, Jason’s fault, nor Academy. It’s politics, and let’s just fish!
      I don’t want to come off as negative about this, but too many people are quick to judge or defend something these days without perspective.
      Regards.

• jbaggett Says:

@J. Trelan: Thanks for the positive comments and for the visit. Hope you are well, and come back often!

• jbaggett Says:

@Loomis Fan: Thanks for stopping by, and the last comment. GLoomis was my first high-end rod, and used them for many years before selling them to upgrade to newer rods. GLoomis makes a great product, but I’m an “average angler dude”, and cannot afford a boat full of them, nor would I if I had boat loads of $. To me, fishing or even competing is not about what flashy products I use, or how fancy I look; it’s about using products I can afford and that fit my likes/style/etc. Trust me, I’m still using rods that are 10 years old, and replacing guides, just because I can’t find a rod that is equal. It boils down to preference, and to each their own. As far as copying, someone made a change and the rest followed. Nothing new in this industry, nor will it change. I will take up for the people behind this product, knowing that they spent countless hours on perfecting a product before releasing it. That, is the complete opposite to what most companies do, which is defended by the warranty department ? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be argumentative, or persuasive, just honest in my perspective. I see a great product for any angler with the Ethos rods, and if you’re a dead set Loomis fanatic, that’s fine. Fish with your confidence and not your pocketbook ?
      Thanks again for the visit, and hope you find something relevant. Also, I’m not sponsored by anyone, so this is not a plug, just an honest opinion on something I believe in.

5. Loomis Fan Says:

Jason, no harm intended and I totally understand your point. You’ve got a good thing going here, and I hope I didn’t make a mess of it. To be honest with myself and my opinion I better look at something in person before making a judgment. Point proven. I’ll be sure to let you know.

• jbaggett Says:

@Loomis Fan: none taken, and no mess made. I had hoped this BLOG would be an open discussion, for both sides. Looking forward to hear your thoughts. :)

6. Greg from NW Arkansas Says:

I got one and love it dude! Thanks for the heads up. I’m in that exact Academy several times a week, and never knew these existed. I’m taking it this weekend to a tournament and show off. Look forward to your review as well as breaking mine in. Good Job Jason.

• jbaggett Says:

@Greg from NWA: AWESOME! Let me know how it goes in your derby, as well as throwing your new stick! Thanks for stopping by….GO HOGS!

7. Fishing Newb Says:

Jason, it seems your quite the expert on the Ethos, and maybe more than just that. I’ve got some questions I’d like to ask, but not public. I’m going to contact you with the questions. I’d be honored to talk with you.
    Jack aka Fishing Newb

8. jbaggett Says:

@Jack (Fishing Newb): Just use the Contact Jason form up above and I’ll get the email. Look forward to answering any questions you may havee.
    Also, I’m no expert on them, just know a good deal when I see one! :)
    Thanks for the comment.

9. Justin Says:

Just went out and bought the Ethos H2O Xpress 6’6″ rod and the H2O Xpress Menace reel. Man I gotta say that the rod is very light weight, has an awesome look, and the two piece handle makes it so comfortable. As for the reel, just pick one up and give it a few cranks. This thing is super smooth. As for the price, I dont think you can get a better deal. I must say it’s the best setup I’ve have yet. After seeing Jason’s post I had to check it out for myself. I ended up buying two. One for me and one for my girlfriend. Looking forward to putting this thing to work. So far I’m very impressed. I’ll give an update after I clean out the lake next week.

• jbaggett Says:

@Justin: You both will be very pleased with those setups. Take your time and get the reel dialed in with the drag and spool settings. I’ll look forward to your updates!
      Keep in touch, and GO FISH!

10. OconeeKilla' Says:

Good to see someone else out there givin’ the H2O line of products some love! I cant convince people around here how friggin’ good there stuff is. I love the reels and love the Precip rods. Cant wait ’til my local Academy starts stocking these! H20 Express is becoming my favorite company very fast.

• jbaggett Says:

@OconeeKilla’: Thanks for coming by! I really like the ETHOS rods, and not just based on price. I’ve used many brands of higher end rods, and without a doubt the ETHOS, and even the Precip models, rank very high!
      Keep me updated, and stay in touch!
      Thanks again!

11. Gary Says:

I was in Acadamy today and saw an angler with (4) of these rods. I thought they were giving them away or something. I spoke with this guy and he had been fishing with H2O’s for a couple weeks. Said they were better than Carrot Stik and Skeet Reese rods. So I said what the heck, I’ll try one. So I purchased the 7’0″ Heavy Rod. Went fishing this afternoon and “wow” was I amazed at the sensitivity and hook setting power with little effort. I immediately knew I upgraded my entire rod selection with this very well balanced rod. I do not own a GLoomis or any +$100.00 rods, but I feel like I do know. I fish a lot, and hands down the best economical rod I have ever fished with. You will not be dissappointed with this rod, I promise.

• jbaggett Says:

@Gary: Thanks for the comment! Your really going to like these rods, and I can’t wait to get a few more before the end of the month myself.
      I really like the balance and the grips. Then you factor in the weight and it’s a extremely well built rod!
      Keep my updated Gary!
      J

12. Rob Says:

I bought one of these rods about 2 weeks ago. I fished with it once and caught a couple of fish with no problems. I fished a tournament this weekend and the rod snapped on a hookset. It broke about 6 inches above the reel. I got the fish in and it was right at 3lbs so i’m not sure what happened. I really liked the rod up until that point and I am going to take it back and get another one. Hopefully I just got a bad one. Like I said, I really liked the rod but it kind of scares me that it broke like that. Is that common for one to break down that low? I bought my dad the same exact kind and he has caught several fish on it with no problems, including one a little over 5. I hope I just got a defect or something. I looked the rod over close when I bought it and didn’t see any cracks or damage to it. By the way it was a 7’0 MH, I wanted a H but that was all they had at that particular Academy.

• jbaggett Says:

@Rob: Your the first one I’ve heard thus far about a broke rod. Who can say exactly what happened, or even why. In my experience faulty rods typically break in the lower or upper 1/3. The rod itself could have had a weak spot. The fact is, rods break. Do you use any rod sock like http://www.therodglove.com and store them in a locker with a rack system? Just curious, because anglers who don’t will have more rods breaks. Keep me updated, and I’ve already sent you an email with my contact information. Be glad to help you out!

• Tad Says:

I will put it through the ringer power fishing with braid! I will say this for Academy. They have stepped up!!! I have spoken to them many times now about their baits hooks etc. I have tried explaining just a few flaws and what did I get in return!!! About 20 phonecalls and emails from Academy Corporate thinking me. They went out of their way to fix a problem with a crankbait. Now I am testing rods. I see someones broke..I have had high end rods from every manufacturer to test. I got one and made the 1st cast with a senko type bait mono line the rod snapped in half no the ethos but a HIGH END rod. I called them they took it back and wanted to charge me $60 to replace it. I have no beef with any company or any ones rods. I test them and give reviews. Ill let you know.

13. Rob Says:

No I don’t use a rod sock, but I never have and I have been fishing for more than 30 years. I keep my rods locked in a rod box when I am not fishing. I fish out of a 2004 skeeter with rod straps. It was pretty rough at times this weekend, maybe it got banged around up there. I think it was just a bad rod, because my dads rode right beside it and he didn’t have any problems.

• jbaggett Says:

@Rob: Sounds like you had a bad rod buddy! Please keep me updated.
      I also sent you an email with me contact info :)

• jbaggett Says:

@Rob: I sent you an email.
        I spoke to someone at Academy and the defect rate is very low on the Ethos as there have been very few incidents of breakage, with no reoccurring patterns. The incidents that he knows about we’re in the upper 1/3 of the rod. Hope this helps!
        Let me know if there’s anything I can do.

14. Gary Says:

J,

Went fishing again today on Caney Lake and used my 7’0″ H20 Express rigged with a #4 Big Bite weighted hook fishing lizards. I dearly love this rod now. Caught 8 bass missed 1 and he was small. Purchase this rod on the 4th and hook to miss ratio is apprx 95%. My opinion on people breaking these rods at the base are setting the hook way to hard. I have learned that you must let the fish absorb the tip and sweep the rod like carolina fishing, you will drastically improve your catch. I do not believe this rod or any of the new light weight rods can take that hard snatch and whip where you are trying to pull the fishes eyes out. No need in that. Ive probably cautht 50 or so bass in two weeks using sweep method and maybe missed 5. Good rod boys, don’t miss out.

• jbaggett Says:

@Gary: Thanks for the comment Gary, and excellent information. Keep in touch, and keep us updated on your fishing!!!
      Thanks again for stopping by!

15. Pondboss Says:

I almost picked one of these up today while at my local Academy. After reading all of the love here, I’m upset that I didn’t. Not sure what anyone else thinks about it, but to me it looked and felt just like my Abu Garcia Vendetta. Just a different paint job and cork instead of black foam. It looked like the guides were the same, but I suppose that is a pretty popular style. If it fishes like my Vendetta, then sign me up!

• jbaggett Says:

@Pondboss: Thanks for the comment! The Ethos is a great rod, at a great price. I compared it to a Vendetta in the store, and the Vendetta felt a tad bit heavier to me personally. Also, I’m a HUGE Abu Garcia fan, and was actually looking to buy several Vendettas when I ran across these. Give the Ethos a try, I think you’ll will like their performance, and especially the price!
      Thanks again!

16. Gary Says:

Since last post have caught lots of bass probably 70 or so in 10 trips on Caney Lake using my new 7’0′ H20 Express. At least 10 of these bass 5 plus pounds. I have learned this rod is very versitle as well. I only have one of these rods, but have caught fish on spinner baits, crank baits, but mainly soft plastics. This is a very light weight comfortable rod for all day fishing. I will try carolina rigs later in season and see how it rates for that as well. As I stated in an earlier post you do not have to set the hook hard. Feel the weight of the fish and sweep and you’ve got em. I’ve teamed this rod up with some 14# suffix titanium “great line” and you can smoke em.
    gj

• jbaggett Says:

@Gary: Thanks for the comment buddy! The ETHOS rods are very versatile, I agree! Keep us updated.
      One another note, did you get my email? Please let me know.
      God Bless,

• Gary Says:

I’ve been out of town. I guess I didn’t. I share my computer with wife and kids and it may have been deleted by accident not knowing who you were. Please resend. I’m very interested in your testimony.

Caught 10 bass with father in law today on Caney Lake this evening. I case you haven’t noticed. I fish a lot in the evenings.

17. Pondboss Says:

I just had to buy one, so I did. After reading all of the positives I thought I was gonna be in for a treat. Unfortunately I was wrong :( I really like how light the rod is and it balances well. It’s very sensitive and casts well. I know, I know what is not to like? Well the first fish I caught was a 1 lb fish swung him in and the rod snapped a foot from the tip. Grrr :( I took it back to the store and exchanged it, I’m hoping this one will be as solid as every other rod I’ve ever owned. I tend to get the one bad item of the bunch when it comes to making an initial purchase on almost everything. I did manage to catch a fish of equal size on the newer rod and it didn’t break. lol I’l keeping my fingers crossed to swing in a few 3 lb fish before that first rod breaking won’t be in the back of my mind.

Pondboss

• jbaggett Says:

@Pondboss: Thanks for the comment. I’ve broke all kinds of rods, and some of the most expensive brands. I do know Academy are trending the breakage reports, so it’s good to know they 1) are replacing the broke ones, and 2) looking into what it the root causes. I’ve known companies to just claim it on warranty for financial purposes and not looking as to why or what is causing it. Kudos to Academy for doin what is right, as well as expected!
      Keep us updated!

18. Pondboss Says:

@jbaggett: Yeah I was glad they replaced it no questions asked. I just walked in, the gentleman asked is there a problem with the rod? I told him it’s in more pieces than when I bought it. He laughed and said “I could see how that would be a problem”. Went and got the exact same rod, have caught 2 fish on it and had no problems lifting them out of the water like that last one. I’m hoping the first one was just a Lemon. So far I’m seeing good things from this second rod. Now if they would just get any of the CC models in I’d love it.

19. Pondboss Says:

@jbaggett: Got a few more fish on it this morning, man I really like this rod. I still can’t get it out of the back of my head though that I had one break. Just need to land a few bigger fish to wipe that away. I’m telling you guys that are reading this and wondering if you wanna try it or not. Go get one! I’m using the 7′ MH and I tell you what, it’s a jack of all trades. Wouldn’t even have to carry another rod with me if I wouldn’t change lures so darn much. This rod does it all. :)

• jbaggett Says:

@Pondboss: The 7′MH is a great all around rod with true versatility. I’ve got one, and will be getting another one for me, and my wife. She’s taking a liking to them as well.
      On the break issue, I’ve broke big name rods, and it will happen to all of them. You just need to keep fishing, and catching bigger fish will help. This sport is pure mentality, so keep at it and the confidence will come!

20. Pondboss Says:

I also wanted to say that I got a wild hair and decided to weigh the H2O Express ETHOS against my Vendetta. The H2O Express weighed in at a whopping 4.1 oz :D and the Vendetta a rod that costs $20 more came in at 5.4 oz. To top it off my Vendetta is shorter than standard due to a broken tip. I’m guessing it’s gonna be hard to find a lighter less fatiguing rod to fish with than the ETHOS by H2O Express.

• jbaggett Says:

@Pondboss: I’m a HUGE Abu Garcia fan. Love the reels, and actually was preparing to buy (3) Vendettas when my wife and I ran into the ETHOS. She took the Vendetta in one hand, and the ETHOS in the other and promptly noticed the weight and balance differences.
      Be looking for a complete review of the ETHOS soon! I’ve been fishing it alot, and really love it!
      Thanks again, and hope this site is helping you somehow.

21. Pondboss Says:

@jbaggett: Your site is helping me vent all the goodness that is the Ethos. lol Caught another quick limit today of quality keeper fish. I thought I heard a crack when setting the hook once, but maybe I just hit an over hanging branch. I caught several other fish after that and didn’t have any issues. It did help remind me though that I don’t need to be so violent when I’m setting the hook with this rod. Especially when using braid. lol Just wish I could get my hands on the CC model so I can quit having to change lures so often.

22. Gary Says:

Went to beautiful Caney Lake yesterday and fished a wobble-head red\w natural creme worm using 7’0 H20 Express. Let’s just say for the record with the sensitivity of the tip combined with the wobble of the lure you can feel everything. I caught 7 bass late evening yesterday all on the wobble-head and did not miss a fish. Caney is not noted as being a wobble head lake because lack of vegetation, but it worked. I have another rod I’m fishing, but I keep coming back to the H20. Guys for the price it’s extremely versitile. The extra finger grip under the trigger is amazingly comfortable, and this keeps the rod from rolling in your hand on hook set. (Do not set the hook hard, feel the weight of the fish and sweep)And if you have never fished a wobble-head, right now is a great time to start. Fish over and around grass, stumps, weed beds, docks. It mimic’s a young snake and bass love em. They are very inexpensive lures. I caught all (7) fish on the same worm. Not bad. Red head\Natural or Red head\tomato are excellent choices for stained to clear water. I promise these are deadly combinations for catching bass right now. Don’t wait, you’ll miss out.

23. Jason Says:

I read your reviews and bought 2 of the ethos rods today during the Academy rod riot sale. I got the 7’0MH and 7’0H. I really like the look and feel of these rods. Can’t wait to try them out!

What other H20 Xpress products have you tried? I’ve read good things about the Mettle. I’m curious how they compare to other similarly priced reels. I’m a big fan of the BPS reels and own two of the Extreme bait casters, with which I have been very happy. I have also tried the H2O Xpress line, crankbaits, and flippin jigs. The only complaint I have is that the jig skirts tend to slide off easily, but for the price, they aren’t bad. The crankbaits are great!

Anyway, thanks for the review. Love the blog. Keep up the good work!

-Jason

• jbaggett Says:

@Jason: THANK YOU for the kind comments.
      The ETHOS rods are a great product. I’m waiting to get a couple more and phase out some older rods with these. Great fit and finish!
      I own the H2O ranisuit, and almost every varitation of most of the H2O Bait product line. Love the sqaure bills and traps!
      I don’t own any of the reels, but I’ve used them and think they have a good feel and aethetics. I can’t comment on their performance as I like to fish one more than an hour to get a good understanding of something. I did like what I seen! I’ll try and get a reel soon and provide some feedback. Anything specific your looking for?
      Thanks for visiting my BLOG, and let me know if there’s anything I can provide to make it better.
      Contact me any time, and God Bless!
      Jason Baggett

• Jason Says:

I’m really just looking for some reels to put on these new rods since I currently have more bait casting rods than I do reels. I was thinking about trying the mettle out.

Btw, I used the heavy ETHOS this weekend and caught a few 3 lb bass on a frog. I was using 50lb braid and it held up to some pretty big hook sets.

-Jason

• jbaggett Says:

@Jason: Even though I don’t have alot of experience with the Mettle or the Manic, I’d recommend the Mettle if your looking to get into a good baitcaster at a lower price point.
          I’ve got to buy some more reels as well, and I might buy (1) Mettle, and (1) Manic and give a review. Please do the same if you buy the Mettle.
          I’m using the 7H as a Frog rod as well and I’m catchig them good on it. I wished it had a softer tip for skipping them under the over growth. The ETHOS is one fine rod!
          Keep us updated!
          Thanks again, Jason

24. Pondboss Says:

Broke my second Ethos rod today :( , it broke in the exact same spot as the first one did. I swore I was not going to get another one, but man they are just so light and sensitive and good looking. I went to a the Heavy action instead of the Med. Heavy and landed a nice 7lb 4oz Bass with it after only a short while. The great thing about returning my boken rod was I got the price refunded that I payed for it, and with the rod riot going on now I ended up making $25 bucks. LOL Loaded up on Big Bite Baits and smoked that bigen on a Rojas Fighten Frog. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm with the H2O Xpress rods. I really love all of the stuff they make, it would be a shame to not use their rods.

• jbaggett Says:

@Pondboss: Can you tell me what your doing when the rod breaks? (Example: Flipping a 1/2 jig, Braid, and a power hook-set)
      *I’m looking at mechanics in you hook set
      The guys at Academy are tracking the warranty issues very carefully and last we spoke, there wasn’t very many, and the results were sporadic.
      I’ve fished with the models I have with great success, and no breakage. This is the first rod I’ve had in a long time that I truly like, and can afford! Now that’s AWESOME!
      Thanks for keeping us updated.

25. Pondboss Says:

They have both broke in the same fashion. Lifting a small (2lb) fish out of the water to unhook it. Nothing in the hook set or anything like that. Although I did hear what I thought was a cracking sound on one of the first hook sets with the second rod. The first rod broke on the very first fish I caught. The second rod cracked on about the 3rd hook set. And broke on about the 20th fish caught. I’ve had no problems with the newest one, but this rod is different in that I got the 7′ Heavy action rod this time. I’ve only caught one fish on it so far, but it was a 7lb 4 oz PIG!

With the past rods I had broken, I was fishing with braid flipping soft plastics and jigs. (usually 1/4-3/8) As far as my hook set goes, my friends say I swing for the fences. lol

I will say this, I really love the rods and I honestly don’t have any problem returning them as long as they put a new one in my hand when I leave. ;)

26. Matt Olmsted Says:

Went to Academy today to exchange a Vendetta, and they were out of Ethos rods :( Ended up with the Precip Jig rod. It feels super sensitive, really excited to give it a go tomorrow.

• jbaggett Says:

@Matt: Thanks for the comment. I’ve talked to Academy about the ETHOS availability and they say a new shipment will be available next week. I’d start calling on Monday, but believe some stores receive shipments on Thursdays (maybe an Arkansas thing?), but doesn’t hurt to call and ask.
      The Precip product is nice as well; I own (5) of them, and like em!
      Keep me updated and thanks again for the comment and coming to the site!
      God Bless,
      Jason Baggett

27. Matt Olmsted Says:

@jbaggett

I will just wait a bit to find out if they are restocked with the Ethos. I saw they had a few of the spinning rods, but man are they way soft. Precip rod was super sensitive and caught a couple of fish despite the soft slow bites. A blue gill bite fells like your bait is getting hit by a truck. lol Looking forward to further use of these rods. Can’t wait for Academy’s reel riot, so I can pick up a Mettle or 2.

Just curious if you might happen to know if H2O will be making soft plastics? I’m almost exclusively fishing their rods and if their reels are as good I will make the switch there as well. As for right now almost 98% of my soft plastics are Big Bite Baits with some Zoom thrown in there, with the occasional pack of Yum. Would love to see a solid line of Xpress soft plastics in the near future.

I have seen that they do have a mono line, have not tried it, but I usually fish Fluoro or Braid. Would be sweet if they would expand that area as well. I’m sure they would produce a great line up, if it’s not already in the works.

Matt

• jbaggett Says:

@Matt: That’s a good question, that I don’t have an answer to, yet. It would seem with their overnight success with the entire H2O Express product line, they would want to branch out, and make a complete offering. We shall see.
      I’d personally like to see them offer bulk spools of fluoro, mono, etc.
      Keep in touch, and thanks again!
      JBaggett

28. jerry daws Says:

Is academy going to get a coastal series ethos rod out. Just bought a 7′ at the academy in port arthur. They had several of the “bluerods” on the shelf.

• jbaggett Says:

@Jerry: Thanks for the comment. I’ll do some checking and see if it’s in their future. I can see where it would be a good move for them to do so.
      Thanks again,

29. Matt Olmsted Says:

@jerry daws

What is a coastal series? I assume that is a heavier duty rod for salt water? They still are out of stock at my Academy of the Ethos rods. :( Had to get a BPS Carbonlite instead. When do they have their annual reel sale? Looking to stock up on the Mettle.

Matt

• jbaggett Says:

@Matt: Sorry for the late reply, I overlooked the notice.
      Coastal series are typically a little beefier, and have components that can handle the saltwater environment. Also, I’d be looking for some H20 Coastal products soon! :)
      I don’t know when they have the reel sale, but I’ll find out.
      The Mettle is a great reel, I have (2), and love them!
      Thanks again, Jason

30. Ozark Angler Says:

I stopped in the Academy in Rogers looking for a cheap replacement rod for a cheap spinning reel. Also in the market for a carolina rig. Found a good deal on a Falcon and I was ready. Stumbled on the H20 rods and kinda laughed. Picked it up and couldn’t put it down. Felt better, better balance, etc. It was on $10it cheaper so I thought, what the heck I’ll try it. Love the H20 crankbaits.

Spooled it up and ready to go. I was so wishin it was Sat morning already and after reading all of the praise on this rod….now I cannot stand another minute waiting!! Gotta go try this new rod. May have to buy another one!

Cool blog. Keep em coming!

• jbaggett Says:

@Ozark Angler: I own (5) ETHOS rods, and looking to get more to replace older rods. I appreciate your comments!
      I’ve fished the ETHOS extensively since I wrote this Blog, and I’m constantly impressed. Every Co-Angler who fishes with me ends up using (1) or (2) and I get some really good responses from them on the price, and weight as compared to higher end models of other brands.
      Let us know your likes/dislikes.
      Thanks again! Jason

31. @Phillip9978 Says:

If your not sponsored by Academy, YOU SHOULD BE!
    Hell of a job your doing for them. Since You posted this, I have bought 9 Ethos rods and 8 H20 reels. I never knew they could be as good as the top shelf name brand products. Please keep us in the know bro.
    P

32. Matt Olmsted Says:

Walked into Academy yesterday, and they were still out of Ethos rods :( , but on the bright side H2O has listened to my prayers and come out with offerings of Braid and Fluorocarbon lines :) I will definitely be stocking up for my fall/winter tournament trail. Thanks for listening Academy, now get some darn rods in my hands!

• jbaggett Says:

@Matt: be patient buddy. Believe it or not, but as soon as most of these rods hit the shelves THEY’RE GONE…. On the upside, they’ll get more in. You can also buy from Academy online :)
      If theres anything I can do, I’d be glad to help if I can.
      Blessings,

33. Carlos Says:

I just bought ethos710cc i have never done any surf fishing all i do is freshwater fishing and ive cought some very respectable catfish (30-40lbs)with a 6′ shimano voltaeus.. Im going surf fishing on saturday. Im using 12lb test line , texas rig with 1oz weight and ethos710cc rod. Will this rod work for me? I need some help !!!

34. Bubba Barham Says:

I was told about the ETHOS Blue Rods today by someone. I stopped at Academy Sports to see one. I bought one and went bass fishing with it. I was using my normal fishing with a worm when I got hung up and broke my line. I thought it a good time to switch rods. My next cast with the new 6’8″ med hvy rod,I caught a 3 1/2 lb bass. I could not believe how much better feel this rod gave me with the worm. It has the smallest eyelets I have ever seen, is the lightest rod I have ever used, but wow does it give you a great feel. I could cast is just as far and it was much smoother. I am sold. I paid $79 for mine at Academy Sports.

• jbaggett Says:

@ Bubba Barham: AWESOME! Good to hear another believer. That 6-8 makes a great spin bait pole. Thanks for the comment. Keep us updated and FISH ON! <><
      Blessings, @JasonBaggett

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. H2O Express ETHOS “Blue Rod”: Part II | jasonbaggett.com - 21. Sep, 2011

[...] to the overwhelming response to the original blog (found here), I’ve decided to Blog once again about the ETHOS. I want to say THANK YOU to those who have [...]